Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
IMPORTANT!!! READ THIS BEFORE YOU UPDATE SWISSLOG
04-05-2020, 06:24 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-05-2020, 06:30 PM by EA3GCV.)
RE: IMPORTANT!!! READ THIS BEFORE YOU UPDATE SWISSLOG
Hi Alex,

Yes, I'm aware of the problems of the DX message window when lots of spots are coming. That's the reason I explicitly indicate in the documentation that you can't use Reverse Beacon servers. 

The reason to use Dx message windows and band maps are to apply filters to the traffic to only see what you need (Needed, New and worked is probably the best option). The "all" option when lots of spots are coming are not practical at all. Firstly because you allow entering lots of spots not needed (the ones which are already confirmed) and secondly you won't have time to pay attention on them because window will scroll too quickly. So why overloading CPU unneccesarily? If band is very crowd, is a must to disable the "All" option in the DX message window, otherwise you will experience problems like you describe. Band maps are able to handle much data even if you have many of them. This also depends on the number of QSO in your logbook and your computer. I have tried to improve in the code the performance of the Dx window as much as possible. But there is this "limitation" when band is very crowd. Once you know this, it's easy to solve: select "New, Needed and worked". Dx window offers the advantage of being able to display statistic status for several statistics at once. On band maps you can use only one statistic but it offers a better graphical view of the selected band. But the real goal of these functions is to display what "user needs" for a specific statistic (award). If you don't mind the statistic status and prefer to display all spots, then you have to use the Telnet windows. These windows won't be overloaded because it's plain text and any spot is checked against your logbook to know the statistic status. This is what Dx window offers (despite other interesting function such tuning, turning antenna or entering QSO directly from spots). But this extra function to display the statistic status needs lot of CPU power and the DX window grid component has it own limitations.

Most logging programs only allow a single band map (if they provide this function) and a Dx window. This is perfect to avoid overloading your computer. Swisslog offers the possiblity to have as many as you like but always according how powerful is your computer, the number of QSOs in your logbook and the filters applied. Once you know this, you have to keep a balance of what you want and what your computer supports to decide the filter to be applied on every function. Use band maps for better performance. I use 4 band maps (monitoring 4 different bands, displaying ALL spots) and only one DX menssage window, but filtered to "Needed, new and worked" and works very well. I have a 1st generation i7 (from 2007) and 8Gb. I also have a WSJT-X Band Map which also needs a powerful computer because it has to handle and check data very quickly on FT8 (much more on FT4!). So here it's also a must to select "Neeeded, new and worked" if band is very crowd.

For contesting, use a good contest software (like N1MM). After the contest, export contest QSOs into ADIF then import them into Swisslog. This way you will take profit of the best options.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
Current developer of Swisslog

Messages In This Thread
RE: IMPORTANT!!! READ THIS BEFORE YOU UPDATE SWISSLOG - by EA3GCV - 04-05-2020, 06:24 PM