Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie Questions
12-12-2023, 12:04 PM,
Newbie Questions
Greetings:

I have been a long time user of Swisslog.dos, but my old PC hardware finally broke.  I have removed the hard drive and the data is still there (over 100k QSOs), but I must now upgrade to Swisslog V 5.107.  I'm afraid I will have many newbie questions.  Let me ask just three for now:

1. In the Dos version I have scores of databases (e.g. each contest separately) which I afterwards mostly included into a "Mainlog" database (my regular qso database) as well.  I started transferring all these databases to V5, but think this is not the way to go.  In V5 I think I should keep everything in a single database, and use groups or events to see specific annual contests, nets, etc.  But how do I do this while importing from my old .dos databases?
  • while importing can I make these QSO's part of an 'event' automatically (i.e. for the 100s of QSOs as a batch)?
  • what happens if an entry is a duplicate?
  • is this the right way to do it?

2. How can I delete a database in V5?  I started importing separate .dos databases by creating a V5 database and then importing the data from the dos version.  As per above, I now think this is wrong and need to get rid of these multiple separate databases.

3. When I click "Open logbook database" under the File tab, I always get a popup saying "Swisslog V5. The file does not exist, OK".  I have to click on it 6 times before it opens the logbook databases window.  I suspect that it is looking for a default file that does not exist.  How can I fix this?

Thank you so much, in advance, for any help.

I also wish to express my gratitude for many years of use of the DOS version.  It was an excellent, fast (without windows) and a simple to use program.  I am also most grateful to those who work so hard to keep Swisslog functioning and current.

John, N6JW
12-12-2023, 02:37 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-12-2023, 02:41 PM by EA3GCV.)
RE: Newbie Questions
Hello John,

First of all thank you for using the Windows version. The Swisslog version implements LOTS of improvements although it's very different from the DOS version. I know migrating to a new GUI scares a little bit. But all the DOS version users I know, despite at the beginning they were very opposed to upgrade, now they are aboslutely happy and convenced it was a good change. Now your questions:

1. The main key is having separated logs in the DOS version for every event (contest). In the Windows version you don't need to use different databases. With a single database you can have all QSOs perfectly organized by all your callsigns/QTH (MY QTH), different Working conditions and Events (contest, events etc). First of all you need to create your different My QTH (different callsigns or different QTHs you have), the different Working conditions and Events you have worked (contest). You only need to create the generic contest name. That is, CQWW, ARRL DX, ARRl 10m etc and NOT: CQWW CW 2021, ARRL DX SSB 1997, etc. You can filter by year and mode later in a logbook view. PLEASE it's very important to read carefully the MY QTH chapter in the Swisslog help. Once you have created all your My QTH / Working conditions / Event you can start importing your DOS files. At the end of the process you will be asked to select which My QTH / Working conditions / Event you want to assign these QSOs. It's also very important to know the content of VARIABLE FIELDS, if you use them in the DOS version. Typhical Variable Fields where the VFM for Manager or VFI for IOTA. Remember that variable fields were recognised in the NOTES field. for instance, if you wanted to assign a QSL Manager you needed to write M:EA3GCV. An IOTA I:EU-124 etc. Later during importation, Swisslog will ask you to select the current Swisslog field for these variable fields. Please read also the IMPORT QSO chapter before doing anything. There is a specific section for the DOS import data.

If a QSO is duplicate it won't be imported. During importation process you will see a report of dupes or QSOs which are not imported for some reason. You can later save this report into a file.
2 and 3: You can delete a database by deleting the file in the C:\Swisslog\DB folder. The default database name is SWLOG_V5.MDB. DON'T DELETE the Swlctry.mdb which is the Country table!! But if you have deleted all databases, you won't be able to create a new database because Swislsog needs a database to open. If you have deleted the SWLOG_v5.MDB, reinstall Swisslog to restore the default file. You can rename it of create new ones in the File menu.

Don't hesitate to contact me if you have more questions.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
Current developer of Swisslog