Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transceiver interface: not working with Icom protocol after 5.94 upate
18-12-2016, 09:54 PM,
Transceiver interface: not working with Icom protocol after 5.94 upate
Hi Jordi,

i don't know how i can help you in providing you some more details
but after updating to the new Swisslog 5.94 i'm unable to use the ICOM protocol
with my ICOM IC-7850. It was working previously with 5.93 but not with 5.94.
I now use Omni-rig (or HRD) but just to report to you the issue.
Let me know if you need additional details o screenshots.

HB9DHG Fulvio
20-12-2016, 11:02 PM,
RE: Transceiver interface: not working with Icom protocol after 5.94 upate
Hi Jordi

i also just noted after updating Swisslog to the new version that if i click on a RTTY or CW frequency,
my IC-7850 switch mode to RTTY-R or CW-R.

I didn't noticed this behaviour in any previous version of Swisslog (with that radio), 
so .. not sure if this issue was present before or not.

On another note, i also  noticed an issue with Omni-rig and TS-590 (both old and new version)
The frequency is read by Swisslog (at the top bar) but double-clicking on the DX window to any call, the radio is not following
the new frequency. Pressing CTRL-F do also not work (it looks it just change from USB to LSB and vice-versa)

Please .. no rush at all. Just wanted to report this few issues.
Happy Holidays !
73 de HB9DHG
21-12-2016, 12:28 AM,
Hi Fulvio,

I haven't modified anything in the Icom module! In fact I have just tested version 5.94 directly with my Icom 756 Pro 3 and works perfectly. All Icoms work the same to read/write QRG/Mode (IC-7800 series has new PSK modes that I added some versions ago). Please review again all COM port settings. Remember that the TX address shown in Swisslog is in decimal format (not hexadecimal). Normally if you have checked the "Scan for TX-Address" Swisslog will read well the Hex Address and make the proper conversion. However you can force it by setting the value to 142 (8E hex address for IC-7850).

Regarding OmniRig you are probably using a wrong setting. I detected this behaviour 2 weeks ago using a IC-7851 with OmniRig in a friend of mine shack. Please download the latest INI OmniRig files here:

http://www.dxatlas.com/OmniRig/Files/RigIni.zip

Unzip and copy them to the Rigs folder where OmniRig is installed. Now you will have available the IC-7851 in the transceiver list with the right settings.

The communication between Swisslog and OmniRig is exactly the same for all transceivers. OmniRig handle all communications to/from the transceiver directly and sends/receive the info with other software with an specific interface. Try to check with another software which uses OmniRig (such as MixW, WSJT-X or JT65-HF HB9HQX Edition) for your TS-590. It should have the same behaviour than in Swisslog. Remember to set the POLL value to 100ms in the OmniRig settings for a continuous reading. You should also force the execution of OmniRig as administrator (it's installed in Program Files(x86)\Afreet\OmniRig) if using Windows Vista and higher. Right click on the OMNIRIG.EXE, select Properties and check the Run as administrator in the Compatibility tab.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
Current developer of Swisslog
25-12-2016, 01:30 AM,
(21-12-2016, 12:28 AM)EA3GCV Wrote: Hi Fulvio,

I haven't modified anything in the Icom module! In fact I have just tested version 5.94 directly with my Icom 756 Pro 3 and works perfectly. All Icoms work the same to read/write QRG/Mode (IC-7800 series has new PSK modes that I added some versions ago). Please review again all COM port settings. Remember that the TX address shown in Swisslog is in decimal format (not hexadecimal). Normally if you have checked the "Scan for TX-Address" Swisslog will read well the Hex Address and make the proper conversion. However you can force it by setting the value to 142 (8E hex address for IC-7850).

Hi Jordy,

thanks so much for your reply.
I confirm that the Radio can be seen by Swisslog. The only issue i have with my IC-7850 is that the mode switch to RTTY-R or CW-R
when i double click on a station on the DX cluster window. Do you want me to revert to 5.93 so i can test again ?

(21-12-2016, 12:28 AM)EA3GCV Wrote: Regarding OmniRig you are probably using a wrong setting. I detected this behaviour 2 weeks ago using a IC-7851 with OmniRig in a friend of mine shack. Please download the latest INI OmniRig files here:

Unzip and copy them to the Rigs folder where OmniRig is installed. Now you will have available the IC-7851 in the transceiver list with the right settings.

I'm referring to the Kenwood TS-590. I'm sure i did copied the new INI folder
but i will double check again in these days and I will report to you

(21-12-2016, 12:28 AM)EA3GCV Wrote: The communication between Swisslog and OmniRig is exactly the same for all transceivers. OmniRig handle all communications to/from the transceiver directly and sends/receive the info with other software with an specific interface. Try to check with another software which uses OmniRig (such as MixW, WSJT-X or JT65-HF HB9HQX Edition) for your TS-590. It should have the same behaviour than in Swisslog. Remember to set the POLL value to 100ms in the OmniRig settings for a continuous reading. You should also force the execution of OmniRig as administrator (it's installed in Program Files(x86)\Afreet\OmniRig) if using Windows Vista and higher. Right click on the OMNIRIG.EXE, select Properties and check the Run as administrator in the Compatibility tab.

Best 73

That's a good suggestion, i will verify to run Omnirig as Administrator and I will get back to you with my feedback
Merry Christmas
73 de HB9DHG Fulvio
27-12-2016, 10:24 AM,
(25-12-2016, 01:30 AM)hb9dhg Wrote:
(21-12-2016, 12:28 AM)EA3GCV Wrote: Hi Fulvio,

Hi Jordy,

thanks so much for your reply.
I confirm that the Radio can be seen by Swisslog. The only issue i have with my IC-7850 is that the mode switch to RTTY-R or CW-R
when i double click on a station on the DX cluster window. Do you want me to revert to 5.93 so i can test again ?

(21-12-2016, 12:28 AM)EA3GCV Wrote: Regarding OmniRig you are probably using a wrong setting. I detected this behaviour 2 weeks ago using a IC-7851 with OmniRig in a friend of mine shack. Please download the latest INI OmniRig files here:

I'm referring to the Kenwood TS-590. I'm sure i did copied the new INI folder
but i will double check again in these days and I will report to you

(21-12-2016, 12:28 AM)EA3GCV Wrote: The communication between Swisslog and OmniRig is exactly the same for all transceivers. OmniRig handle all communications to/from the transceiver directly and sends/receive the info with other software with an specific interface. Try to check with another software which uses OmniRig (such as MixW, WSJT-X or JT65-HF HB9HQX Edition) for your TS-590. It should have the same behaviour than in Swisslog. Remember to set the POLL value to 100ms in the OmniRig settings for a continuous reading. You should also force the execution of OmniRig as administrator (it's installed in Program Files(x86)\Afreet\OmniRig) if using Windows Vista and higher. Right click on the OMNIRIG.EXE, select Properties and check the Run as administrator in the Compatibility tab.

Best 73

That's a good suggestion, i will verify to run Omnirig as Administrator and I will get back to you with my feedback
Merry Christmas
73 de HB9DHG Fulvio

Hello Fulvio:

After contacting Alex the author of OmniRig I have found the source of this problem. OmniRig has the following modes: CW-USB, CW-LSB, DIG-USB and DIG-LSB. From Swisslog I assumed (wrongly) that all transceivers will work on Cw-USB and DIG-USB for "normal" CW/RTTY operation. This is true for most transceivers but modern transceivers work on LSB as "normal" mode for CW and RTTY. Even in the transceiver menu user can change which is the "normal" mode of CW.

The solution will be (as other programs do such as MixW) to add an option in Swisslog when OmniRig is selected to set "CW/RTTY used in LSB". This way users can tick this option to fix this. But this will be added in the next version.

Meantime I have modified the TS590.INI file used in OmniRig to be used as a workaround. Unzip the attached file in the RIGS folder located where OmniRig is installed (keep a copy of the original TS590.INI!) and now you will should get CW and RTTY as "normal" modes. When the new version is released remember to restore the original INI and check the new option "CW/RTTY used in LSB" in Swisslog.

Let me know if it works OK.

Best 73

Attached Files
.zip   TS-590.zip (Size: 1,04 KB / Downloads: 2)
Jordi, EA3GCV
30-12-2016, 10:47 PM,
Hi Fulvio,

I have found the source of the problem to set QRG when Kenwood transceivers are used in OmniRig. It will be fixed in version 5.95 as well as the mode selection to set CW and RTTY as LSB. I hope to release new version the first week of January.

Best 73 and Happy New Year!
Jordi, EA3GCV
03-01-2017, 12:44 PM,
(30-12-2016, 10:47 PM)EA3GCV Wrote: Hi Fulvio,

I have found the source of the problem to set QRG when Kenwood transceivers are used in OmniRig. It will be fixed in version 5.95 as well as the mode selection to set CW and RTTY as LSB. I hope to release new version the first week of January.

Best 73 and Happy New Year!

Hi Jordi,

no rush at all and thanks so much for taking care to investigate (and fix) the reported issue.
Keep up the good work and ... Happy New Year.

Have a good start of the new Year.
73 de HB9DHG Fulvio