Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
External database access timeout
13-08-2017, 09:42 AM, (This post was last modified: 13-08-2017, 10:29 AM by EI4KF.)
External database access timeout
Since I was in the Wish List section, here is mine (!):

Currently, if Swisslog is set to upload each new log entry to Clublog and access QRZ.com, initialising Save starts the process of accessing QRZ.com, retrieving data, sending to Clublog and then saving to the local database. In practically all instances the Clublog part happens quickly and seamlessly. But on a significant number of occasions, especially when QRZ.com is busy, there is a delay in retrieving QRZ data and hence logging the QSO. If working a pile-up, the next QSO can be completed, and therefore needs logging, before Swisslog has saved the previous one.

So my wish is that there be a (user-definable) timeout so that if the data retrieval from the external database takes more than x seconds, that the QRZ.com retrieval procedure is aborted and the QSO logged locally and to Clublog. Thus Swisslog is free to log the next QSO.

Sounds simple but ....... I know - not necessarily a practical proposition. But this is the Wish List!

73 de Erik  EI4KF.
14-08-2017, 07:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 14-08-2017, 07:59 PM by EA3GCV.)
RE: External database access timeout
Hi Erik,

There is a connection timout parameter in every HTTP GET procedure which I usually set to 5000ms to stop the procedure if no connection after 5 seconds (I have set this timeout in most other internet connection routines such as new support for all online logbooks etc). There is also a ReadTimeOut command which stops procedure after a successful connection but with no host response after this timeout period. Maybe the routines for internet databases don't have these commands defined. I will study the whole thing...

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
Current developer of Swisslog