Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Locators and ADIF, LoTW import
14-01-2020, 06:41 PM,
Locators and ADIF, LoTW import
Hi Jordi,

I have 2 related requests if I may (actually 3 thinking about it).

- When importing an ADIF file with 4digit locators (e.g. IO83), like from WSJT-X etc., could the distance be calculated, please? If I didn't do anything wrong, it does the calculation for full locators but not if only the first 4 digits are in the file.

- When importing QSLs from LoTW that have a Locator, could that update the Locator (and distance) of the QSO if it already has the first 4 digits and they match (e.g. IO83 in log and LotW QSL says IO83TK)? I think that was changed in 5.98 when the locator wasn't updated from LoTW if it was filled in the log.

The third one only appeared in the latest versions with multiple WSJT/JTDX programs.
- When a QSO is logged from one of the digital programs, it sets the Date/Time fields in the QSO Entry window to static (not real-time). It's very easy to forget to reset them to real-time when manually logging contacts afterwards - especially when switching modes often.

Many thanks for your consideration and all your hard work.

vy 73 Carsten G0SYP
16-01-2020, 01:11 PM, (This post was last modified: 16-01-2020, 01:31 PM by EA3GCV.)
RE: Locators and ADIF, LoTW import
Hi Carsten,

When importing from ADIF, the distance is calculated from the QTH locator no matter whether it has 4 or 6 digits (it will be more accurated if 6 digits are used). In order to calculate distance properly you have to define your QTH locator in your MyQTH. During conversion Swisslog calculates the distance between both locators.

I have uploaded a Beta where the QTH locator will be imported from LoTW/eQSL QSLs either if the QTH locator field is empty or if QTH locator to import has 6 digits and the QTH locator fields has 4 digits matching the Maidenhad:

www.swisslogforwindows.com/Beta/SwisslV5.exe

Simply download and REPLACE this file in the Swisslog folder. It should work now.

Regarding your third question, let me explain how the realtime setting works when using external programs:

Swisslog reads some initial settings (such as realtime) when the Add QSO window opens! Realtime (and other settings) must be disabled to allow some external programs (such WSJT-X, etc) to set the QSO date/time and mode when saving the QSO. Once the QSO is saved, Swisslog restores the initial setting. So if realtime is enabled when the Add QSO window is open, it will leave it this way. Keep in mind that in order to save all settings the "Save desktop on exit" Option must be checked! otherwise all settings you change will only be applied for the current session. If realtime entry is disabled when the Add QSO window is open and your preferred entry mode is realtime, simply enable it by double click on the date field. Date/time fields background will become yellow. Then close and open the Add QSO window again. This way Swisslog will know that the initial setting is ON. Next time you open Swisslog it will recall the initial setting.

Although I have programmed to restore the realtime user setting after saving a QSO from WSJT-X, it may happen that after saving a QSO the realtime setting is not restored properly (it should not happen but unfortunately it may happen). That's the reason I added in 5.99 the new function to switch realtime ON/OFF by just double clicking in the date field and hightlighting the realtime mode by setting the date/time background color to yellow. This is very useful for users to know if realtime is enabled or not. I hope this explanation will help you to understand how the whole thing works.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
Current developer of Swisslog
16-01-2020, 06:13 PM,
Hi Jordi,

I will test the Beta version once I got a few more QSLs on LotW. Thank you!

And OK on the realtime setting. Thanks for the detailed information.

However I cannot confirm that it calculates the distance on imported QSOs with 4-digit locators. I have just tested this again with a short file. My locator is set to the correct one in MyQTH and corresponds to the one in the ADIF file (although capitals are different: IO83TK in MyQTH, IO83tk in the ADI - could that be it?).

The file is as follows:
Generated for G0SYP

<ADIF_VER>:5>3.0.9
<PROGRAMID:20>Swisslog for Windows
<PROGRAMVERSION:5>5.99a
<CREATED_TIMESTAMP:15>20190415 114238

<EOH>
<call:5>SP3UZ <gridsquare:6>JO92fg <mode:3>FT8 <rst_sent:3>-04 <rst_rcvd:3>-03 <qso_date:8>20200116 <time_on:6>114630 <qso_date_off:8>20200116 <time_off:6>114729 <band:2>6m <freq:9>50.314726 <station_callsign:5>G0SYP <my_gridsquare:6>IO83tk <eor>
<call:6>SP8BJZ <gridsquare:4>KO01 <mode:3>FT8 <rst_sent:3>-13 <rst_rcvd:3>-15 <qso_date:8>20200116 <time_on:6>114900 <qso_date_off:8>20200116 <time_off:6>114959 <band:2>6m <freq:9>50.314726 <station_callsign:5>G0SYP <my_gridsquare:6>IO83tk <eor>

It correctly calculates 1400km to JO92FG but leaves the distance to KO01 as 0 in the log.

73 Carsten
17-01-2020, 12:33 PM,
Hi Carsten,

The Station Callsign and My gridsquare fields are ignored because these fields are already set in your MyQTH. If you have to import QSO from different locations, you have to split first the ADIF then select the appropiated MyQTH when importing.

I will make a test with these ADIF records but before replying you I did a test importing a QSO with a 4 digits locator and was calculated correctly.

I will let you know something.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
18-01-2020, 01:24 PM, (This post was last modified: 18-01-2020, 01:29 PM by EA3GCV.)
Hi Carsten,

You were right! When QTH locator to import had 4 digits distance was set to 0. I have corrected this and uploaded a new Beta:

www.swisslogforwindows.com/Beta/SwisslV5.exe

Keep in mind that the distance won't be as accurated as when locator contains 6 digits. Calculation is made to the grid center when locator contain only Maidenhead (i.e.: KO01 would be calculated as KO01LL).

You have 2 methods if you want to correct all QSOs having 0 in the Distance field and having a QTH locator. First of all open a logbook view containing the Distance and QTH locator fields (as the Logbook All fields (slow)) and filter to select all QSO with Distance = 0 and QTH locator = NonBlanks. Now perform one of the following methods:

- Most accurated: simply edit every QSO and save! Distance field will be calculated automatically according the QTH locator and your locator defined in the MyQTH used. The CONS of this method is that you have to perform this operation for every QSO. If you don't have too many QSO, this is the preferred method.
- Less accurated but faster: mouse right click and select Update QSOs with data from Country Table and/or Callbook CD / internet databases then Refresh all QSOs. Check the Geographical Coordinates and Distance options in the Update from COuntry table left section. Check also Replace existing value ONLY in the Distance field (see attached screenshot). Press the Refresh QSOs button. The operation will be performed in all QSOs very fast! The CONS of this method is that is not as accurated because will read the lat and lon defined in the country table for such call, depending on the Region. Instead, you could try to check the Geographical Coordinates from the right panel to read the Locator from the selected Callbook database. However it could happen that the QTH locator defined in the Callbook database differs from the locator worked in the QSO.

So decide the method fits better for you.

Best 73

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Jordi, EA3GCV