Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SFI or Solar Data on Main Screen?
11-04-2021, 04:57 PM,
RE: SFI or Solar Data on Main Screen?
(11-04-2021, 12:48 PM)K0XM Wrote: That will do very nicely Jordi. Thank you.

Very good Jordi. A nice addition, thank you.

Do you know why at my location the A index is currently 6, the Solar Data app states that it is 6 and the Swisslog figure shows as 4? Not that it matters and I ask just out of curiosity.

Erik.
11-04-2021, 07:57 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-04-2021, 07:58 PM by EA3GCV.)
Hi Erik,

Solar flux, A and K indexes are read from this site:

https://services.swpc.noaa.gov/text/wwv.txt

SSN from:

ftp://ftp.swpc.noaa.gov/pub/indices/DSD.txt

I guess these are general values used all over the world not specific for certain locations. I don't know whether these values can be read from a particular location or not. If you know a web site giving that info for a particular location please let me know. I would need to check if I can implement this automatically by reading the QTH locator of the selected My QTH and calculate this automatically. It will depend on how this site is designed to retrieve this info automatically. Maybe it's not possible to do this.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
Current developer of Swisslog
11-04-2021, 10:11 PM,
(11-04-2021, 07:57 PM)EA3GCV Wrote: Hi Erik,

Solar flux, A and K indexes are read from this site:

https://services.swpc.noaa.gov/text/wwv.txt

SSN from:

ftp://ftp.swpc.noaa.gov/pub/indices/DSD.txt

I guess these are general values used all over the world not specific for certain locations. I don't know whether these values can be read from a particular location or not. If you know a web site giving that info for a particular location please let me know. I would need to check if I can implement this automatically by reading the QTH locator of the selected My QTH and calculate this automatically. It will depend on how this site is designed to retrieve this info automatically. Maybe it's not possible to do this.

Best 73

Hi Jordi

I do not think it is possible. Different data comes from different observatories and I think the difference between Swisslog and the Solar Data app is the time period over which the Ap index is averaged. You would think that would be standardised from noaa.gov but clearly not. Since this afternoon it has dropped to 5 as measured in the UK over the last 3 hours, the solar data app still says 6 and Swisslog still says 4 - which is more likely to be correct because the K index has been steady at 1 for the last 9 hours. I doubt that there will ever be a large gap between them.

So don't worry about it - I was just curious as to why the difference existed. I think I have now found out the reason. The main thing is that the data is now readily available in Swisslog which is excellent.

73 de Erik.
12-04-2021, 11:47 AM,
Hi Erik,

In the last beta Swisslog checked these values when a QSO was saved in order to set the SFI field or if user had the propagation function open, these values were checked sfter entering a call in the QSO Entry window. Because it may happen that an user has Swisslog open for long time with no news QSOs added or the propagation function not open, now I have set a timer to update these values every hour (approximately).

I have uploaded a beta with only this change.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
05-07-2021, 10:30 PM,
Hi Jordi is there a way to disable the SSN number locate by the SFI, and A K numbers?
06-07-2021, 05:09 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-07-2021, 05:15 PM by EA3GCV.)
Hello,

Sorry but there is no way to disable it. I don't think this info which ocupies a very small space in the window title and it doesn't interfere anything may bother any user...
Jordi, EA3GCV