Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrade from 5.8 to 5.9 be aware ...
27-12-2014, 01:27 PM, (This post was last modified: 27-12-2014, 01:29 PM by EA3GCV.)
RE: Upgrade from 5.8 to 5.9 be aware ...
Hello Fulvio,

Thank you for your reply!

I will keep in mind your suggestion  to implement this function in the future. But as you say is not urgent and above all you are the only one complaining this. Don't take my words wrong! I respect your opinion absolutely but you have to understand that I need to spend a lot of time to try to do so. Swisslog has many forms and the problem is that many forms uses a different "system" from others and these are the problematic ones that I can't edit or change them due to errors with the editing program. I'm working with a virtual machine copy of Walter's computer in Windows 2000! It's full of errors and I'm doing the best I can. I have to try to make a fresh installation of Delphi and all the complements Walter installed but this is not easy believe me. I have to investigate everything! I need the original copies of certain complements that now are hard to find. I could get Delphi original CD from Walter but nothing else. Many complements are not free and Walter paid a lot of money to buy them. I need the original installers and some complements simply doesn't exists now because company closed down. I just want that everybody knows how many problems I'm having to continue doing things. I would like to be a Delphi expert but I don't have such skills. You can't imagine how many hours I have spent to try to understand "just a little bit" the whole structure of Swisslog and to do what I have done in the current version. Walter was a genoius programmer but I'm not Walter and I'm trying to do the best I can.

Regarding the font problem you have to check the option to "Save Desktop at Exit" in the Options main menu and the font will be kept. Keep in mind that when you change the font size you are only changing it in the active window!! this action is not applied to the whole program! If I can implement the background color in the future will work the same way. User will have to change every window manually. Maybe newer Delphi versions has new powerful options to perform operations like this easily, I don't know. But I can't buy such expensive programs when Swisslog is free. And even if I get a new Delphi version it's not as easy as "run and go" because this project is very old and many functions won't work and I would need to rewrite the whole source code. As you may understand this is something that is out of my hands absolutely. Not only for the needed high level knowlegde in Delphi required to "try" to do such a huge task but the big time I would need to do so. I would have to literally work full time for Swisslog. I have temporaly more free time because I had an accident and I have my foot broken and I'm dedicating full time to Swisslog while recovering. I'm very happy with the goals I have achieved this months of hard work. But only Walter had in his brain how he did this excellent program. It's not easy. Christian Aymon is a professional programmer who could make the virtual machine of Walter's computer and who corrected important things years ago. When he gave me the virtual machine to try to continue developing Swisslog he told me this:

"Please do not underestimate the difficulty of the task, SWL is really huge. Even a professional will not find easily his way in this code... "

I'm not a professional programmer. Simply I'm a passionated ham who wants to do the best I can to continue Walter's creation. And all users must know this.

I have uploaded a fix that corrects the Windows XP background color: www.swisslogforwindows.com/Download/Swisslv5.exe

Best regards and again thank you for your suggestions and comments.
Jordi, EA3GCV
Current developer of Swisslog

Messages In This Thread
Upgrade from 5.8 to 5.9 be aware ... - by hb9dhg - 26-12-2014, 08:46 PM
RE: Upgrade from 5.8 to 5.9 be aware ... - by EA3GCV - 27-12-2014, 01:27 PM