Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Configure download and display of membership information
19-11-2016, 04:48 PM, (This post was last modified: 19-11-2016, 04:57 PM by EA3GCV.)
RE: Configure download and display of membership information
Hello Thomas,

I will try to reply all your questions.

When importing some award references/club membership list that are in Excel format (such as AGCW, DCE, DEE,DEFE, DERESP,DMVE or HSC) Swisslog makes a try to open a dummy Excel file with Excel. If failed tries to open with OpenOffice/FreeOffice. This is done to check whether Excel is installed or not. If you have Excel installed or OpenOffice maybe you have lost in your system the program association for XLS files. That's the reason Swisslog shows that you don't have Excel installed. I recommend to reinstall Excel/OpenOffice or assign again your XLS file extension to your Excel/OpenOffice program. The only awards that requieres Excel are the DEE and DMVE (OpenOffice can't handle the format of these files). In version 5.94 this will be corrected (they have changed the XLS format) and it will be possible to open then with OpenOffice if Excel is not installed. I use the lists which are available in the official website of every award/club and internally I perfom the data import.

If you don't use a particular award and you want to not be informed to update, simply deactivate the associated statistic. You won't see the update message anymore for the non active statistics.

Currently no configuration of the Membership panel is available. You can activate or deactivate the membership panel to see all clubs supported, but you can't choose which club you want to see. Every user has his own preferences and I didn't think it was necessary to add a particular option to select which club logo you want to see in the panel. I will add your suggestion to the wish list.

Users are not able to add club membership to the panel. It's defined internally by code and it has a lot of code and involved to every club (logo, position, info table associated or online query etc). If you have a suggestion to add more club in the membership panel, please let me know which club and I will see if this club makes available a member list in their website (many clubs don't like to publish their member list). In order the membership panel works well it's very important that the member list can be updated by internet, otherwise it has no sense.

In version 5.94 I will add the CWOPS club according to some user suggestion. Although I try to keep Swisslog very flexible there are things that would be a nightmare to make it more flexible (as the membership panel) due to the lot of code involved. Impossible is nothing!But some functions that may be seen "easy" from user's point of view, behind these "simple" functions (as the membership panel) there is a lot of code involved. Obviously, I will implement this feature if I find in the future an easy way to do this.

I will study your suggestion about membership column in Dx message window. This would require a powerful computer. LotW/eQSL checking in DX message window makes Swisslog hung in older computers. That's the reason I placed an option to disable it. I will add your suggestion to the wish list. It's interesting!

Best 73 and thank you for all your comments and suggestions!
Jordi, EA3GCV
Current developer of Swisslog

Messages In This Thread
RE: Configure download and display of membership information - by EA3GCV - 19-11-2016, 04:48 PM