Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Time logging problem.
31-07-2015, 10:50 PM, (This post was last modified: 31-07-2015, 10:51 PM by G4UGB.)
Big Grin  Time logging problem.
Hi,
Wonder if anyone can help or comment. Before I start - I'm using Swisslog ver 5.9d.

My problem is - my computer (where Swisslog is installed) is not a dedicated PC for Amateur Radio use only. Therefore - the PC runs on local time (in my case BST, one hour ahead of GMT as I am in the UK). The Start Time Option is set to 'Store UTC in Logbook' (its checked) but - it doesn't. It writes local (PC) time in the logbook - the same time that appears in my PC Taskbar.

What am I doing wrong ?? Anyone got a clue - or is this how it is meant to be ?? But in that case - what is the checkbox 'Store UTC in Logbook' for ??

If I enter 'Realtime Mode' then the same thing happens. Local time is displayed in the Start Time box and - stored in the log.

Thanks for any brickbats and/or comments. All gratefully received.

73 de Richard G4UGB
01-08-2015, 11:30 AM,
RE: Time logging problem.
In the My QTH tab is your Time Diff. to UTC set to zero?

Reg
01-08-2015, 11:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-08-2015, 11:58 AM by EA3GCV.)
Hi,

Go to Add QSO - MyQTH tab then press the Detail/New button. Select your current QTH and set 1 as Time Diff to UTC then save. Normally Swisslog detects this situation automatically and warn you that the time difference set differs from system. But for any reason it doesn't warn you. Check in your Windows Regional settings that you have selected the right time zone.

If I'm not wrong UTC should be the same in areas where London local time is used. For this reason G3WPF's Time Diff. To UTC is set to zero (0). For him local time and UTC is the same thing so the 'Store UTC in Logbook' is useless in this case.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
Current developer of Swisslog
02-08-2015, 12:36 AM,
Hi Jordi.

I'm not sure I fully understand your explanation. Richard will be in the same time zone as me. I set Time Diff. to UTC to zero. In Windows my time zone is UTC London but it also automatically changes that in the summer when we add one hour for local time. Maybe you meant at this time of year he needs to set at 1 but I do not do that. Swisslog stays at zero and gives UTC OK for logging and pc maintains local time (UTC in winter and +1 in summer).

Reg
03-08-2015, 12:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-08-2015, 12:32 AM by EA3GCV.)
Hi Reg,

Richard complains that the time stored in QSO is local time even by checking the "Store UTC in logbook". Swisslog warns you when it detects that the Time difference to UTC set in Windows differs from the one set in Swisslog. Then prompts you to change this automatically for you. Swisslog knows this for the following entries in the Swisslog SwisslogV5.INI file (these are the correct settings for UK):

TimeDifftoWindows=1
TimeDiffofQTH=0

Richard hasn't received this warning so he probably has 0 in both settings. The source of this problem may come from two ways:

- Maybe the time Zone settings in Windows are not set correctly so I told him to check this. In the date/time configuration in Windows there is an option that must be checked: Set summer time automatically.
- His operating system is Windows Vista or higher and he has not installed Swisslog with administrator rights (as clearly indicated in the first screen of the Swisslog installer) and the INI file can't be overwritten.

If he has not installed Swisslog as administrator the best solution is first to make a backup copy of his Swisslog database by means of the File | Save.. option. When Swisslog is not installed as administrator NEVER copy directly the Swisslog database from the C:\Program Files\Swisslog\DB folder to make a backup because this is not the real database Swisslog is using!! it uses another located in the Windows's VirtualStore creating a real bundle! After this uninstall Swisslog and install it again following strictly the instructions given in the first screen of the installer. Finally restore the Swisslog database from the File | Restore... function and set up Swisslog again (register with your call and set other options as transceiver control, internet databases etc).

I hope this extended reply will help.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
03-08-2015, 11:01 AM,
Hi Jordi.

Yes, thank you for the extended reply which I now understand. My .ini is set up as you say and also has:

UseWindowsTimeDiff=1

I also run as administrator and I did find the VirtualStore! So, hopefully, Richard will resolve his problem.

Reg
10-08-2015, 11:47 AM,
Hi,

And thanks to Jordi and Reg for the replies. Sorry I've been a bit slow in response to this but I've been away twice since I posted the query and things have been a bit hectic since we have come back !!

OK - I went in as per your instructions Jordi and in the Current QTH=Home_QTH dialogue box - the 'Time Diff. to UTC' is at 0. But - I cannot change it. It remains at 0 no matter what I do.

I guess I need some more advice here ...  Sad

Many thanks again.

73 de Richard G4UGB
10-08-2015, 11:35 PM,
Hi Richard,

First of all... did you followed the instructions indicated in my last messages? Summing up: disabling UAC, install Swisslog as administrator and check your windoss time zone settings?

If you did all the above then the Time Diff to Utc is correct as 0 in your country. If you want to edit it you have to press the Edit button in the MyQth options then Save. But it,s ok set as 0. But Swisslog now would have to warn you that the windows settings doesn,t match with the Swisslog settings (now is 1 hour difference).

Send me your Swisslv5.ini located in the Swisslog folder. But I insist once again: it,s extremely important that you have followed the installation instructions strictly as I explained above.

If everything fails we will have to arrange a Teamviewer remote session so that I can check online what may happen because all this is very strange.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
11-08-2015, 11:56 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-08-2015, 12:16 PM by G4UGB.)
Hello Jordi,

Thanks again for your reply.

Yes - my Swisslog was installed with Administrator rights. And yes - in (Windows 8.1 Pro) the time zone is set as '(UTC) Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London'. But it is also set for 'Daylight Saving Time' - in other words, my PC time is now 1 hour ahead of UTC and is 'clock time' here in the UK. I don't know if this has any bearing on the issue.

** Edit: Just looked in my Swisslog.ini file and the following is set:

UseWindowsTimeDiff=1
TimeDifftoWindows=1
TimeDiffofQTH=0

and in the file, there are three separate entries in different places of:

UTCTime=1

Don't know if this helps.

I'll send you my ini file. OK - tried that but cannot see any way of adding an attachment ??

73 de Richard G4UGB
11-08-2015, 12:39 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-08-2015, 12:50 PM by G4UGB.)
Hello Jordi,

With help from Erik EI4KF - I have it working. I had not used the 'Details/New' button in the 'Home QTH' screen first - my apologies. So now - the 'Time Difference to UTC' is set at 1. If I am in 'realtime QSO entry' then the 'start' box shows the UTC time (and not clock time) and when I enter a QSO and hit 'Save' the UTC real time is shown in the 'end' box and UTC is stored in the log.

That's all fine now !!! But can I ask - if I chose NOT to run in 'realtime' mode - and chose to enter my QSO start and end times manually - if I enter CLOCK time into the start and end boxes - and have 'Store UTC in logbook' checked - is it then also supposed to write UTC into the logbook - because it doesn't.

But maybe - it isn't supposed to do that.

** Edit: Erik (EI4KF) has just told me that if I chose to NOT use 'realtime' mode then I effectively stop Swisslog tracking the time and thus - whatever I enter into the 'Start' and 'End' boxes - will be entered into the log irrespective if 'Realtime QSO Entry' is checked or not.

So now - I fully understand. Sorry - I've been a bit lax in 'RTFM'.

Thanks (to Erik) and again to you Jordi.

73 de Richard G4UGB