Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Setting up a new statistic DXCC-FT4?
22-07-2019, 10:56 PM,
Setting up a new statistic DXCC-FT4?
Hi,

With the activation of the new FT4 mode, is there a chance to make a statistic to use in the DX cluster window?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nM7fgJqv8CZjQNYP7

73's Marc
23-07-2019, 09:13 AM,
RE: Setting up a new statistic DXCC-FT4?
(22-07-2019, 10:56 PM)on6cc Wrote: Hi,

With the activation of the new FT4 mode, is there a chance to make a statistic to use in the DX cluster window?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nM7fgJqv8CZjQNYP7

73's Marc
Yes, just see the help file for creating statistics.

It is a simple job - you don't need any special skill and you can see what to do from the help file and also how other statistics are defined.

Erik.
23-07-2019, 01:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 23-07-2019, 01:06 PM by EA3GCV.)
Hi,

Yes you can create a DXCC-FT4 statistic (or DXCC-FT8 statistic) as personal statistic. See how the DXCC-SSB statistic is defined and add a new personal statistic defining it the same way but changing the MODEID field with the one assigned to the FT4 mode (Edit / Add / Edit modes then check the ModeId assigned for FT4. bu default it should be 177).

However it won't work in the Dx message window unless you add a specific frequency for the FT4 mode! I mean, by default 14074 is defined in Band Plan for RTTY (14070 to 14099). If you want that the FT4 (or FT8) specific statistic gives you right status in the Dx window you should have to add 14074 in the Band Plan. Mode is also used in the Band Map wndow for dupe control if band/mode is selected. This is an exceprt of the help file (Band Map chapter) regarding Dupe control for Band / Mode:

-Show if Dupe (band/mode): Swisslog checks if it's dupe on the same band and mode. IMPORTANT: To show correctly statistics info and for a good dupe control, Swisslog is able to read the following modes if found in the DX Mesasage comments: FT8, HELL, JT65, JT9, MSK144, OLIVIA, PSK31, PSK63, PSK125 and RTTY. SSB, CW and RTTY are calculated according the Swisslog band plan. You can adapt Swisslog band plan to your needs if you work other modes or if you want to specify fixed frequency ranges for certain modes such as JT65, FT8, etc. If a frequency range doesn't exists in Band Plan, Swisslog assumes SSB as default mode. You can switch to band checking (see upper option) or disable dupe checking (both options unchecked).

As you can see, Swisslog is able to detect some modes for dupe checking if found in the spots comments. These modes are the most usual you can find in the spots comments. I will add FT4 for the next version.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
Current developer of Swisslog
23-07-2019, 05:08 PM,
(23-07-2019, 01:06 PM)EA3GCV Wrote: Hi,

Yes you can create a DXCC-FT4 statistic (or DXCC-FT8 statistic) as personal statistic. See how the DXCC-SSB statistic is defined and add a new personal statistic defining it the same way but changing the MODEID field with the one assigned to the FT4 mode (Edit / Add / Edit modes then check the ModeId assigned for FT4. bu default it should be 177).

However it won't work in the Dx message window unless you add a specific frequency for the FT4 mode! I mean, by default 14074 is defined in Band Plan for RTTY (14070 to 14099). If you want that the FT4 (or FT8) specific statistic gives you right status in the Dx window you should have to add 14074 in the Band Plan. Mode is also used in the Band Map wndow for dupe control if band/mode is selected. This is an exceprt of the help file (Band Map chapter) regarding Dupe control for Band / Mode:

-Show if Dupe (band/mode): Swisslog checks if it's dupe on the same band and mode. IMPORTANT: To show correctly statistics info and for a good dupe control, Swisslog is able to read the following modes if found in the DX Mesasage comments: FT8, HELL, JT65, JT9, MSK144, OLIVIA, PSK31, PSK63, PSK125 and RTTY. SSB, CW and RTTY are calculated according the Swisslog band plan. You can adapt Swisslog band plan to your needs if you work other modes or if you want to specify fixed frequency ranges for certain modes such as JT65, FT8, etc. If a frequency range doesn't exists in Band Plan, Swisslog assumes SSB as default mode. You can switch to band checking (see upper option) or disable dupe checking (both options unchecked).

As you can see, Swisslog is able to detect some modes for dupe checking if found in the spots comments. These modes are the most usual you can find in the spots comments. I will add FT4 for the next version.

Best 73

I have to disagree slightly, Jordi.  I have it working ok but not by interrupting RTTY band plans (which I do not think FT4 does anyway). After the creation of the statistic, you have to ensure that the Swisslog Band Plan is in line with real FT4 frequencies on a per band basis. You cannot add 14074 in the Band Plan. For example for the 20m band, retain RTTY and do not mess with it. Add FT4 as 14080 and do the same for all other bands 10140, 7047.5, 3575 and so on. It is very useful to get the separate statistic in Swisslog because the dupe checking in wsjtx is not mode specific and so is totally misleading. I do not know of any other logbook that can already give FT4 this level of information. You really have done a superb job, Jordi.

You can refer to the K1JT paper on FT4 (WSJT website) if you are unsure of the operating frequencies.

73 de Erik.
25-07-2019, 09:32 AM, (This post was last modified: 25-07-2019, 12:04 PM by on6cc.)
Hi Jordi and Erik,

Thank you very much for the information! I now created a new statistic especially for FT4, with the bandplan acourding to the frequency which is used nowadays (14.080 MHz). So my bandplan is as follows on 14 MHz:

FT8 14073 til 14075
RTTY 14076 til 14079
FT4 14080 til 14081
RTTY 14082 til 14100

I know in a contest or an inputfrequency that is wrong can get you the wrong result, but I must say that most of the time it is correct. Let's see how it goes...

And Jordi you are still the nr1 with swisslog support! Thanks for the work you put in this piece of art! No other logbook program comes even close in the capabilities this FREE program offers!

73's Marc, ON6CC
25-07-2019, 12:20 PM,
Hi Mark,

Thank you very much for your kind words! I will try to rebuild the band plan for the next version to include FT8, FT4 range of frequencies, leaving other free digital frequencies for RTTY. i know there are specific frequencies also for JT65/JT9 but these modes are hardly used and I prefer to leave assign them to RTTY. The side-effect is that user band plan will be replaced! But this is the only way I have to set an updated band plan for all users according the current modes of operation. Users will have to do the final adjustment to adpat the band plan to his/her own preferences.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
25-07-2019, 05:14 PM, (This post was last modified: 25-07-2019, 05:16 PM by EI4KF.)
(25-07-2019, 12:20 PM)EA3GCV Wrote: Hi Mark,

Thank you very much for your kind words! I will try to rebuild the band plan for the next version to include FT8, FT4 range of frequencies, leaving other free digital frequencies for RTTY. i know there are specific frequencies also for JT65/JT9 but these modes are hardly used and I prefer to leave assign them to RTTY. The side-effect is that user band plan will be replaced! But this is the only way I have to set an updated band plan for all users according the current modes of operation. Users will have to do the final adjustment to adpat the band plan to his/her own preferences.

Best 73
Personally I think it is a bad thing to force a Swisslog user to lose his/her band plan just because they are updating to a new version. Assigning a priority to RTTY over JT65 is without foundation and I would not want to lose my band plan (which is, by the way, the one I sent you and is a lot of work to construct). So can it be made optional? This band plan as I sent it is accurate taking into account the WSJTx recommendations, the ITU allocations, and the actual mode useage. This following table is typical and is for a few hours today:

RTTY is now a minority mode and is hardly used whilst activity using JT65 outweighs RTTY by nearly 20 times. At weekends, both JT65 and JT9 outweigh RTTY by even more. 

If it is not going to be optional, please make Swisslog suppress the new version message after it is first shown instead of the user having to always dismiss it on a Swisslog start.

Thanks,

Erik EI4KF.
29-07-2019, 12:47 PM, (This post was last modified: 29-07-2019, 05:25 PM by EA3GCV.)
Hello all,

Because of the big controversy this could create, I prefer to leave the band plan as it is. It's up to every user to adapt it to his/her own needs.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
01-08-2019, 10:40 PM,
I agree to Erik's option. Every user has its own mode specification in Swisslog. Everyone has its own 'favorite' modes, and it's up to the user to decide which modes he likes to be shown in his statistic. Less work for you Jordi Wink

But on the other hand, not everyone has the skills to make his own statistic report. I must say that it took me some time to figure out how to do it!

73's
02-08-2019, 11:46 AM,
(01-08-2019, 10:40 PM)on6cc Wrote: I agree to Erik's option. Every user has its own mode specification in Swisslog. Everyone has its own 'favorite' modes, and it's up to the user to decide which modes he likes to be shown in his statistic. Less work for you Jordi Wink

But on the other hand, not everyone has the skills to make his own statistic report. I must say that it took me some time to figure out how to do it!

73's
There is a full band plan that can be imported - see https://www.swisslogforwindows.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=615&pid=2364#pid2364

Two Swisslog users have also had bespoke band plans direct from me where they wanted specific inclusions or exclusions. I do not mind helping. 

Note this is via MS Access and nobody so far has reported any issues using it. But if you don't have Access, it has to be done manually. It is achievable though and well worth the effort. You get accurate statistics for your favourite mode(s) in DX Messages as well as reasonably accurate dupe checking (the fox/hound FT8 Dxpeditions tend to go off-plan so the dupe function is not so accurate for them).

Overall, Marc's initial question has led to a well worthwhile uptick in Swisslog functionality. And Jordi is going to include FT4 stats as standard in the next release too. All to the good.