Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
eQSL upload & QSL Action
10-10-2019, 11:03 AM,
eQSL upload & QSL Action
This is probably me being new to the software and doing something wrong but I am confused about the eQSL upload function and QSL Action setting.

I am loading some old logs to Swisslog. For many (most) of them I don't want to send a QSL to eQSL, for example when I know they aren't a member of eQSL.cc or if they are they haven't logged in for several years and have 1000's of eQSL waiting. For others I don't need a QSL for the DXCC or IOTA etc.

I thought that if I set the QSL Action to 'none' then when I do an eQSL upload only those entries with the QSL Action set to 'eQSL' (or 'LoTW + eQSL') would be uploaded. However it appears that all logs are uploaded to eQSL regardless of the QSL Action even when the contact isn't an eQSL member.

I have even tried setting the all the QSL rules to 'none' for each situation.

How should I set the QSL Action (and rules) so I can back load my old logs then selectively pick those items I want to upload to eQSL?

Appreciate any advice.
10-10-2019, 04:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-10-2019, 04:57 PM by EA3GCV.)
RE: eQSL upload & QSL Action
Hello,

The QSL action field is used to know the way the QSL confirmation has been or must be sent. You can set any content you like but usually is "send" when is pending to send the QSL card. "None" when you don't want to send a QSL card, "direct" or "bureau" to indicate the way it has been sent or has to be sent etc. If you have activated the membership panel, it will set LoTw, eQSL or LoTW + eQSL if the station is user of these online services (it could be only one or both) just to inform user that it's LotW/eQSL user. The intention of the QSL Action field is to help user to avoid selecting QSO marked as LoTW/eQSL in the Print QSL card wizard to avoid sending a QSL card if QSO partner is using electronic confirmations. Please read this:

- QSL Rules: https://www.swisslogforwindows.com/engli...m#QSLRules
- Print QSL cards: https://www.swisslogforwindows.com/engli...0Cards.htm

In case of LotW/eQSL synch, the field used to know the LoTW/eQSL status is LOTW STATUS/eQSL STATUS. This field is blank when you have not performed any synchronization. After a first synch, the content could be "Accepted", "Uploaded", or "Confirmed" (in case of LoTW) or "Uploaded" or "Confirmed" in case of eQSL. If you don't want to send certain QSO to LoTW/eQSL, simply set "Uploaded" to the LoTW status / eQSL Status field. When Swisslog performs the LoTW/eQSL synchronization, it won't upload QSOs that are already marked as "Uploaded". You can mass update a field in many QSO by setting a specific content in any logbook view. Read the "Multiple QSO Update" in the Swisslog help. You can select the QSOs you don't want to upload by means of the the filtering tools provided by the Logbook view and set "Uploaded" in these fields. You will have to load a query including these fields. Simply go to View / Logbook view (selection) and select "Status Online Logbooks" from the Logbook folder. This query contains all these fields.

However, I don't see a reason to do this extra work! Why you don't want to upload a QSO that you have worked even if the QSO partner is not eQSL/Lotw member currently? If you don't upload these QSO and this station become member, you will never get this confirmation at all! LoTw/eQSL synch in Swisslog is very easy once configured (just 2 mouse clicks). If someday this station become Lotw/eQSL member, the Swisslog synch will set the "Confirmed" tag in the corresponding Status field. But if this QSO is never uploaded, you won't get the chance to get them confirmed. The way you want to handle this will cause you a lot of work because you have to search if this station is eQSL/LoTW member, set the QSO to "Uploaded" and do lot of things... Uploading QSOs has no cost and Swisslog handles all this automatically for you. The first time you upload QSOs into eQSL, depending the number of QSO you have, it may take some hours (the first time simply leave Swisslog working the whole night). But afterwards, it will run very faster because Swisslog will only upload the QSOs since your last synch (the ones with blank content in the Lotw/eQSL status fields).

Of course it's only a suggestion. Swisslog offers many options to do selective synch or whatever you like to do. But the automatic way is very simple and faster and you don't need to worry about if a station is currently an eQSL/LoTW member or not. Maybe someday become member, uploads all his/her old logs and you will get many confirmations in the next synch. I often get confirmations from QSOs dated in the 80/90s because now this station has become member! Now I have been able to get the confirmation because I uploaded all my QSOs previously.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
Current developer of Swisslog
11-10-2019, 09:01 PM,
Thanks for reply, Jordi.

I appreciate what you are saying about people that aren't currently members of eQSL might become so in the future and you might get the 'nice surprise' of a long forgotten QSO being confirmed.

As an SWL when I submit a QSL to eQSL I try to include at least details of the other station(s) I heard the partner working to 'prove' I heard them. For lots of my old logs, especially from earlier this year when I first started SWL and logging stations I often have no detail of the other station or I only heard them calling "CQ DX". The chances of my QSL being acknowledged in those cases is very slim.

Often special event stations, club stations and contest stations aren't members of eQSL and say they won't accept eQSL. Often when I look at user profiles on eSQL you see the person hasn't logged on for many years (sometime 5 or more) and has 1000's or 10000's of eQSL waiting. Again it seems highly unlikely that even if they started using eQSL again they would bother to go through all the QSL manually and check/verify my SWL report.

It seems counterproductive to submit a QSL to a station when there is realistically no chance of a response. It just fills my outbox, their inbox and the eQSL servers with messages that will never be processed.

it would be nice to have a new eQSL status of 'Ignored' (or similar) so the sync logic would be:
status = <blank> to be uploaded
status = "Ignored" not be included in upload processing
status = "Uploaded" successfully submitted to eQSL
status = "Confirmed" | "Rejected" QSL accepted (or rejected) by recipient.

Setting the status to "Uploaded" when it hasn't been to 'fool' the sync process seems likely to cause confusion. Would it break the eQSL synchronisation/upload process if a "Ignored" value was added to the status list of values?

For now, perhaps my best cause of action is to manually add the reports I want to submit to eQSL directly then import from my eQSL outbox to Swisslog via ADIF then just use the sync to get confirmations.
12-10-2019, 02:35 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-10-2019, 02:36 AM by EA3GCV.)
Hello,

You can set "Ignored" or any other word which is suitable for you. During eQSL synchronization, Swisslog will only upload QSOs having the eQSL Status field blank. So any content is valid for your own use. Swisslog will set "Uploaded" when QSO hass been uploaded to eQSL using Swisslog and "Confirmed" when you get the eQSL confirmation during the synchronization.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
Current developer of Swisslog
12-10-2019, 12:19 PM,
Once again thanks for quick reply Jordi.

I'll try a small set of old logs and see how it goes.

Slowly getting to grips with the software ... the more I use it the more I learn and the more impressed I am.

Thanks for a great product and great support.

73s