Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Swisslog functions slow during high DX Spot activity
24-11-2019, 01:59 PM, (This post was last modified: 24-11-2019, 03:26 PM by EI4KF.)
Swisslog functions slow during high DX Spot activity
The CQ WW DX contest, with its inherent high spot per minute count, again highlights the difficulty Swisslog has in processing them and maintaining other functions in a timely fashion.

I was prompted to write this because of my own experience in the contest and also this email I received from another Swisslog user:

"About suisslog log Erik, I think Jordi can improve this.
For me is a problem on design software.

Becouse if you are use others logs, you don't need use filters to put slow dx messages, you can use all, and cluster is very faster and no problem to freeze other functions on software.

On suisslog if you have many spots, the others functions on software freeze, you not can do anything if coming many spots.
So I really love suisslog, and like to help to contribute to do better".

We both have one normal Dx Cluster connected with a filter on the input. The above user, in south America, reduces the spot count by excluding NA spots. I reduce the count by excluding EU spots. But still, at 30+ spots per minute, other functions are not smooth. The most badly affected one is logging - I can be working another station even in S&P mode before Swisslog has logged the previous contact. F10 is met with a temporary freeze of the software, often until there is a few seconds lull in incoming spots.

Some may argue that this anomaly is only apparent during major contests and Swisslog is not contest software. Nevertheless, it would be beneficial if somehow some improvement could be made.

Erik.
24-11-2019, 03:31 PM, (This post was last modified: 24-11-2019, 03:34 PM by EA3GCV.)
RE: Swisslog functions slow during high DX Spot activity
Helll Erik,

Yes, I'm aware on this issue. Unfortunately it's a design problem of the DX message window. This don't happen if using band maps. I found out a solution to solve this issue but it has an important draw back: some spots will be missing. So I prefer you tell me which do you prefer. If I apply this solution in the code, Swisslog will run smoothly even with many DX messages windows. But there will be missing spots all the time.

You know that I would like to implement in the future the DX window Walter implemented in v6 which it's much better and doesn't have this issue. But you also know that I have to rewrite the full code of Swisslog in order to implement it, because it involves a new statistic function which affects the whole code of Swisslog. It's my intention to work on it but it's a very huge work which I will probable take years! It's like building a puzzle of 50000 pieces.

I can solve this issue but you know the drawback. What do you recommend me to do? Because this only happen in very specific scenarios, I could add another "hidden function" for advanced users. This would be to add a line in the Common section of the configuration file (Swisslv5.ini) to solve this issue in high traffic situations. Something like this to enable it:

DxWinHighSpotRate = 1

Because this is a very special scenario I prefer to add a hidden function instead of adding an option in the pop up menu. Because in fact it's a "partial solution" to a bug and user have to know perfectly the side effects of enabling this.

I am open to hear your suggestions about this. I'm working in a new version which I'm planning to release before Christmas so I can implement the solution you (users) decide.
Jordi, EA3GCV
Current developer of Swisslog
24-11-2019, 06:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 24-11-2019, 06:38 PM by EI4KF.)
Hello Jordi,

Missing Spots is a bad thing I think. It might be the one I need! For example, near sunrise today a single spot for ZD7W on 80m, a country that I had not worked on that band form EI. If missed, I doubt I'd have found him myself before sunrise made it too late for me. Given that the issue is really bad on only 2 weekends of the year (CQ WW SSB & CW), I think we have to wait until your time allows for the rewrite. I was hoping for a solution without drawbacks but, with this necessary tradeoff to solve the issue, I think the penalty is too high.

Regards,

Erik.
25-11-2019, 09:23 AM,
Hello Erik,

This is exactly what I think about this issue ... I will test another possible changes to see if I'm able to solve it but it's an issue related to the grid component used in this window. I'm doing the best I know but sometimes I can't solve certain things due to certain limitations. I will give another try to see if I can solve it but I can't promiss anything. This issue don't happen when using band maps so keep this in mind as an alternative solution on a contest scenario.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
Current developer of Swisslog