Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auto backup
10-03-2020, 11:42 PM,
Auto backup
Hi Jordan,
Could I possibly make a suggestion for the greater good of all??
My suggestion would be an automatic backup after a pre determined time to a separate drive( possibly a NAS) that could be synced with SWL on a separate machine on the same network...or used to restore a log on an existing installation.

Best Wishes 

Brian
12-03-2020, 09:32 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-03-2020, 09:33 AM by EA3GCV.)
RE: Auto backup
Hi Brian,

I will add it to the wish list. However, a very easy way to do a backup is simply copy the whole Swisslog folder (including all subfolders). In case of problems you have to simply copy again all files back to the Swisslog folder (or delete the existing one and replace). This way to will ensure you will have the same database, setup and files from the last backup. This is a very easy and good way to perform a backup if you also have your Swisslog database in the Swisslog folder structure (by default is located in C:\Swisslog\DB). If you have moved your Swisslog database into another folder you should also copy the database from that folder into the backup destination. Or you can use the File / Save.. function to perform a backup of your Swisslog database.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
Current developer of Swisslog
12-03-2020, 04:13 PM,
RE: Auto backup
(12-03-2020, 09:32 AM)EA3GCV Wrote: Hi Brian,

I will add it to the wish list. However, a very easy way to do a backup is simply copy the whole Swisslog folder (including all subfolders). In case of problems you have to simply copy again all files back to the Swisslog folder (or delete the existing one and replace). This way to will ensure you will have the same database, setup and files from the last backup. This is a very easy and good way to perform a backup if you also have your Swisslog database in the Swisslog folder structure (by default is located in C:\Swisslog\DB). If you have moved your Swisslog database into another folder you should also copy the database from that folder into the backup destination. Or you can use the File / Save.. function to perform a backup of your Swisslog database.

Best 73

There are many 3rd party back-up applications that remove the risk of losing your log(s). I use Syncovery which, after backing up to a separate drive the whole Swisslog folder, then automatically backs-up in real-time any changes. Therefore on logging a new QSO, or indeed making any change at all, the back-up log or other file is updated. It runs silently in the background and has no discernable impact on the computer. This way, there is absolutely no chance of losing any data and user action to manually save is not required.