Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Swisslog functions slow during high DX Spot activity
24-11-2019, 01:59 PM, (This post was last modified: 24-11-2019, 03:26 PM by EI4KF.)
Swisslog functions slow during high DX Spot activity
The CQ WW DX contest, with its inherent high spot per minute count, again highlights the difficulty Swisslog has in processing them and maintaining other functions in a timely fashion.

I was prompted to write this because of my own experience in the contest and also this email I received from another Swisslog user:

"About suisslog log Erik, I think Jordi can improve this.
For me is a problem on design software.

Becouse if you are use others logs, you don't need use filters to put slow dx messages, you can use all, and cluster is very faster and no problem to freeze other functions on software.

On suisslog if you have many spots, the others functions on software freeze, you not can do anything if coming many spots.
So I really love suisslog, and like to help to contribute to do better".

We both have one normal Dx Cluster connected with a filter on the input. The above user, in south America, reduces the spot count by excluding NA spots. I reduce the count by excluding EU spots. But still, at 30+ spots per minute, other functions are not smooth. The most badly affected one is logging - I can be working another station even in S&P mode before Swisslog has logged the previous contact. F10 is met with a temporary freeze of the software, often until there is a few seconds lull in incoming spots.

Some may argue that this anomaly is only apparent during major contests and Swisslog is not contest software. Nevertheless, it would be beneficial if somehow some improvement could be made.

Erik.
24-11-2019, 03:31 PM, (This post was last modified: 24-11-2019, 03:34 PM by EA3GCV.)
RE: Swisslog functions slow during high DX Spot activity
Helll Erik,

Yes, I'm aware on this issue. Unfortunately it's a design problem of the DX message window. This don't happen if using band maps. I found out a solution to solve this issue but it has an important draw back: some spots will be missing. So I prefer you tell me which do you prefer. If I apply this solution in the code, Swisslog will run smoothly even with many DX messages windows. But there will be missing spots all the time.

You know that I would like to implement in the future the DX window Walter implemented in v6 which it's much better and doesn't have this issue. But you also know that I have to rewrite the full code of Swisslog in order to implement it, because it involves a new statistic function which affects the whole code of Swisslog. It's my intention to work on it but it's a very huge work which I will probable take years! It's like building a puzzle of 50000 pieces.

I can solve this issue but you know the drawback. What do you recommend me to do? Because this only happen in very specific scenarios, I could add another "hidden function" for advanced users. This would be to add a line in the Common section of the configuration file (Swisslv5.ini) to solve this issue in high traffic situations. Something like this to enable it:

DxWinHighSpotRate = 1

Because this is a very special scenario I prefer to add a hidden function instead of adding an option in the pop up menu. Because in fact it's a "partial solution" to a bug and user have to know perfectly the side effects of enabling this.

I am open to hear your suggestions about this. I'm working in a new version which I'm planning to release before Christmas so I can implement the solution you (users) decide.
Jordi, EA3GCV
Current developer of Swisslog
24-11-2019, 06:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 24-11-2019, 06:38 PM by EI4KF.)
Hello Jordi,

Missing Spots is a bad thing I think. It might be the one I need! For example, near sunrise today a single spot for ZD7W on 80m, a country that I had not worked on that band form EI. If missed, I doubt I'd have found him myself before sunrise made it too late for me. Given that the issue is really bad on only 2 weekends of the year (CQ WW SSB & CW), I think we have to wait until your time allows for the rewrite. I was hoping for a solution without drawbacks but, with this necessary tradeoff to solve the issue, I think the penalty is too high.

Regards,

Erik.
25-11-2019, 09:23 AM,
Hello Erik,

This is exactly what I think about this issue ... I will test another possible changes to see if I'm able to solve it but it's an issue related to the grid component used in this window. I'm doing the best I know but sometimes I can't solve certain things due to certain limitations. I will give another try to see if I can solve it but I can't promiss anything. This issue don't happen when using band maps so keep this in mind as an alternative solution on a contest scenario.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
03-05-2020, 11:05 PM,
(25-11-2019, 09:23 AM)EA3GCV Wrote: Hello Erik,

This is exactly what I think about this issue ... I will test another possible changes to see if I'm able to solve it but it's an issue related to the grid component used in this window. I'm doing the best I know but sometimes I can't solve certain things due to certain limitations. I will give another try to see if I can solve it but I can't promiss anything. This issue don't happen when using band maps so keep this in mind as an alternative solution on a contest scenario.

Best 73
03-05-2020, 11:39 PM,
Hi Jordi,
I didn't see earlier that you guys already had discussions about Swisslog slowing down and shutting down with high cluster spot inflow.
I didn't get an answer to my last message probably because of the weekend. Usually you are very prompt. I hope you are healthy and doing well. This Corona virus pandemic is a horrible thing that hit us all.
I have checked into many logging programs in the past and after spending almost a week exclusively studying Swisslog I started to like the concept and the utilities that you integrated into the program. In particular interfacing it with CWSkimmer is excellent. I liked that I can see on the map where my signal is going to and when the picture of my fellow ham from QRZ would pop up on my screen, it made the hobby more personal. I would have started to use it despite my own starter problems. But slowing and shutting down the program with increased spot cluster activity seems to be a real limiting factor making it impossible to use Swisslog on days with high cluster traffic. Weekends are always busy and this is the time when most of us are on the air.
I am enclosing my last email that I sent to you on Friday. If there is anything I could help let me know and if you have a solution to it.
73, Alex AK1MD

Hi Jordi,
Thank you very much for your reply.
I have followed your recommendations and added exceptions for Swisslog and any other ham programs I am using to my antivirus soft ware. I don't have a fire wall installed on my computer.
I am using the latest version of Swisslog. 5.99g
I discontinued in Connect to Packet Program everything and removed SV2AGW . Initially as instructed I was reading your manual and one of the options was Packet trafficking. I had no experience in it and wanted to try it out. Spent a lot of time and exchanged many emails with SV2AGW, but was never sure what was going on and which part was working. Well now it's off. Waisted another $50.
Last night few contests were on. I use N1MM for contesting and it works great. I am using Telnet and receive spots and I have WintelnetX from K1TTT where I have several clusters connected like W1VD, W3LPL, K1TTT, W1NR and my local CWSkimmer. They all feed through WintelnetX into my N1MM. Unfortunately CWSkimmer is not interfaced like in your program so I have to use copy/paste when a spot shows up on my Skimmer before it comes up from one of the clusters.
I don't use your program for contesting. Last night I turned it on after I made all the corrections that you suggested because I wanted to look up the ITU number of one of the stations in Europe.
Unfortunately to my disappointment Swisslog was not doing well. WintelnetX was off. N1MM was off. I used your Telnet Control window and connected Swisslog to W1VE. There were many spots coming from W1VE. There are many stations on the air on a busy weekend. It was very soon evident that Swisslog was overwhelmed with the W1VE input. The windows would flicker, and I could not move any of the windows. Swisslog would shut down. It looks that the DX Message window in Swisslog is eating up all the energy of Swisslog to be able to function. Please understand I am not a programmer and I cannot explain it to you in a programmer language what is happening, but it is obvious. When I disconnect Telnet server in Swisslog everything works well. Also, I had 4 Band windows open to be able to see what is the activity on each band. When under Band/Mode Selection I choose All Swisslog would go down even faster. If I click on any of the other options in Band/Mode Selection only few spots on each band would show up, while my Skimmer would have more spots at the same time. Another thing that I don't understand.
I don't know if there is a solution to all of this?
Thank you for your help.
73, Alex
10-05-2020, 01:58 PM,
Hi Alex,

I replied this mail on 4th May but you have used several threads for this question. Please read my reply here:

https://www.swisslogforwindows.com/forum...205&page=2

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV