Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elecraft KX3 CAT's strange behaviour
08-05-2020, 01:28 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-05-2020, 01:30 AM by RN3ANT.)
Question  Elecraft KX3 CAT's strange behaviour
Ever since a lot of free time appears due to the coronavirus quarantine, I have the opportunity to pay attention more close the Swisslog in order to migrate from a very slow Logger32.
I have updated Swisslog to the latest version 5.99g, turned it on ... The very first inconvenience and strange behavior -- in the "Transceiver Control" window the frequency and the mode fields are blinking several times per second showing both VFO A and VFO B frequencies and modes regardless of which particular VFO is active on the my transceiver Elecraft KX3. I am using VSPE 64bit for sharing COM-ports.

How to get the only active VFO freq and mode be indicated there?

73! Vit, RN3ANT
09-05-2020, 10:33 PM,
RE: Elecraft KX3 CAT's strange behaviour
Hi Vit,

You should not have any problems. I'm also using VSPE 64 bits for sharing COM ports. Swislsog is always reading main VFO. Raise the value of the Control trasnceiver option "Time between two TX QRG queries in 1/10 seconds)" to a higher value. 1 is 100ms, 5 500ms and so on.

I have add similar problems when using the same virtual COM port in several programs at once (I guess some interaction). I suggest you to simplify and use OmniRig in all programs supporting it like Swisslog, JTDX, MixW.. For the VSPE side OmniRig counts as a single program and you "feed" 3 (in case you use Swisslog, JTDX and MixW at once). This will improve the CAT control and you will also have 3 more "slots" to share the virtual COm-port in other programs.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
Current developer of Swisslog
11-05-2020, 09:33 AM,
Thank you very much for fast reply, dear Jordi.
(09-05-2020, 10:33 PM)EA3GCV Wrote: You should not have any problems. I'm also using VSPE 64 bits for sharing COM ports. Swislsog is always reading main VFO. Raise the value of the Control trasnceiver option "Time between two TX QRG queries in 1/10 seconds)" to a higher value. 1 is 100ms, 5 500ms and so on...
I've tried to do it. No success. Take a look to short screen capture video in ZIP-archive, please.

(09-05-2020, 10:33 PM)EA3GCV Wrote: ...I suggest you to simplify and use OmniRig in all programs supporting it like Swisslog, JTDX, MixW.. For the VSPE side OmniRig counts as a single program and you "feed" 3 (in case you use Swisslog, JTDX and MixW at once). This will improve the CAT control and you will also have 3 more "slots" to share the virtual COm-port in other programs.
As I guess, VSPE already allows to share COM-port in a few applications without additional crutches like OmniRig. The only I need VSPE to share COM-port to Logger32 and N1MM Logger, sometimes very rare RMS Express and MixW. All of them work properly, even all four the same time. What especial doing OmniRig in order to install it as other or additional crutch?
BTW, just now I have shutted down VSPE and have switched SWL to my native COM4 instead of virtual VSPE's COM10.
Having direct access to COM4, SWL works properly.

Yours,

Attached Files
.zip   ice_video_20200511-095325.zip (Size: 2,36 MB / Downloads: 2)
73! Vit, RN3ANT
11-05-2020, 01:20 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-05-2020, 01:15 PM by EA3GCV.)
Hello Vit,

According to my own experience with VSPE (I use VSPE 64) I always created the splitter with 9600 bauds. Using higher baud rates I have experienced many problems (like the one you describe). As you can see, connecting directly to the native COM port, all is working well. So I suggest you to use 9600 bauds in your splitter port. (8 start bits and 1 stop bits).

VSPE can handle up to 4 applications at once. But I have experienced similar problems as yours when using many programs. Every computer is a world and you need to find out the best setup works for you. Believe me, I do remote sessions with many users and what is working for one user it's not working for others!

I use OmniRIG because Swislsog, JTDX and MixW are supporting OmniRig. From the VSPE side, OmniRig counts as a single program so I have 3 more programs left to share with this virtual port. OmniRig will send the CAT info to all programs and maybe you will avoid this flashing problem.

It's very important to know that if you are running Swisslog as administrator, you will also have to force OmniRig to run as administrator otherwise it won't be able to communicate. Golden rule: all programs linked with Swisslog must be run with the same privileges: Either all with standard privileges or all with administrator privileges.

If you don't want to try OmniRig, try to set 9600 baud rate as the default splitter COM port speed and try again. I have configured many computers with VSPE with 9600 bauds and all work perfectly.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
12-05-2020, 04:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-05-2020, 08:15 AM by RN3ANT.)
Thank you very much for hint about COM-port baud rate, Jordi.
I will try it the next time when I will be with the transceiver, May 15th,  and will report the result here. Then I'll try to look at OmniRig. I've understood about OmniRig. Together with VSPE it will allow using the port by more than 4 applications. Gracias!

Yours,
73! Vit, RN3ANT
15-05-2020, 08:01 PM,
Thank you very much, Jordi!

Lower COM-port's rate really works! The only active VFO freq and current mode are indicated properly if COM-port rate is 9600 baud.
Moreover, special KY-codes used by Elecraft for CW-keying of K3, KX3 & KX2 transceivers from some loggers, f.e. N1MM+, now acts absolutely correct! LOL.

Yours,
73! Vit, RN3ANT
16-05-2020, 09:47 PM,
Glad to hear that! 9600 is the best baud rate to set when using VSPE. I have wide experience on this and I was not wrong when I suggested this!

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV