Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
connection to jAlert lost
12-09-2020, 01:05 AM,
RE: connection to jAlert lost
Hello,

I have revised carefully all code related to this and I found out that the "Set mode from QRG" user setting was not saved when linking to WSJT-X. I have also improved some other things. Please try this new beta and let me know:

www.swisslogforwindows.com/Beta/SwisslV5.exe

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
Current developer of Swisslog
12-09-2020, 10:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-09-2020, 10:49 AM by EI4KF.)
(12-09-2020, 01:05 AM)EA3GCV Wrote: Hello,

I have revised carefully all code related to this and I found out that the "Set mode from QRG" user setting was not saved when linking to WSJT-X. I have also improved some other things. Please try this new beta and let me know:

www.swisslogforwindows.com/Beta/SwisslV5.exe

Best 73

Hello Jordi. 

I do not see any difference from before in the latest beta. I set to on (checked) the two settings I referred to. JTDX starts and these two settings are set to off (become unchecked). When I close JTDX they remain off and do not revert to my choice of setting.

The problem of Swisslog locked into switching between RTTY and FT8 remains. I will try to explain it as an end user sees it - I know that from a programming aspect there is a world of difference. But still: if my transceiver goes to DIG mode, Swisslog quite rightly sets the mode to RTTY (it is the most common non-JT mode). But when JTDX attaches, Swisslog should not be asserting this mode because it cannot ever be RTTY (the mode does not exist in the WSJTx and JTDX applications). Swisslog ought to relinquish control of mode and start at the most common JT mode, FT8. But no, it stays on RTTY. Then it appears to fight with JTDX. I start a QSO and the mode changes from RTTY to FT8, RTTY, FT8 and all the while nothing else can happen. To me it appears as if JTDX has sent the mode but Swisslog tries to assert itself over JTDX, finally giving up and settling on FT8.

Meanwhile, the two settings are not reverting to being set on for me either. So after ending JTDX session I have to go back into options and turn them on again. I note you state only WSJTx but I presume JTDX should not be any different in behaviour. So I have no explanation, all I can say is that the problem persists.

I must just stress that my previous comments still apply. Although this beta is no different from the last, both afford an improvement over the original exe. There are some instances of saving QSOs where the problem does not manifest itself, just like before. Presumably the hiatus starts when Swisslog is fighting against JTDX and also engaged in other tasks like processing DX Spots.
12-09-2020, 11:46 AM,
Hello Jordi
I use FlDigi as well as JTDX.
I just tested it. No problem here.
everything is displayed correctly and also switched promptly.
So everything is ok. Ufb !! Big Grin
vy 73  dl1ip Karl
12-09-2020, 02:09 PM,
Hello Erik,

I have found out the reason of the mode change! I have uploaded a new Beta. It has been tested also by another beta tester (Senio, EA1AHY) who also had the same mode change issue before this beta and now works ok for him. This is what should happen on this beta:

- When the QSO Entry window shows up, the "Do not set mode from transceiver" and "Set Mode from QRG" settings are saved in a variable to know the "initial user settings"
- When Swisslog receives any data from WSJT-X (or JTDX it works exactly the same way) the UDP link button is set Green and the "Do not set mode from transceiver" is automatically checked and the "Set Mode from QRG" is automatically unchecked. Previous to this beta I did this only when Swisslog received a status change and I reverted to user settings every time a QSO was saved or the Clear button was pressed from JTDX. Now these settings won't be reverted to user's settings until the UDP link is disconnected or JTDX is closed. This way I ensure there are not many setting changes during the link, improving performance.

Please test and let me know but now should work well.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
12-09-2020, 03:05 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-09-2020, 03:06 PM by EI4KF.)
(12-09-2020, 02:09 PM)EA3GCV Wrote: Hello Erik,

I have found out the reason of the mode change! I have uploaded a new Beta. It has been tested also by another beta tester (Senio, EA1AHY) who also had the same mode change issue before this beta and now works ok for him. This is what should happen on this beta:

- When the QSO Entry window shows up, the "Do not set mode from transceiver" and "Set Mode from QRG" settings are saved in a variable to know the "initial user settings"
- When Swisslog receives any data from WSJT-X (or JTDX it works exactly the same way) the UDP link button is set Green and the "Do not set mode from transceiver" is automatically checked and the "Set Mode from QRG" is automatically unchecked. Previous to this beta I did this only when Swisslog received a status change and I reverted to user settings every time a QSO was saved or the Clear button was pressed from JTDX. Now these settings won't be reverted to user's settings until the UDP link is disconnected or JTDX is closed. This way I ensure there are not many setting changes during the link, improving performance.

Please test and let me know but now should work well.

Best 73

Hello Jordi

1. The two settings are not behaving as you describe. Starting with both set to on (checked), when JTDX launches the setting "Set Mode from QRG" becomes unchecked. The other one remains checked. When JTDX is closed, both settings are unchecked. So I am back to setting them back on manually after every JTDX session.

2. The main problem of switching mode is solved now, you will be pleased to hear. Launch JTDX and the mode goes to FT8 (or FT4 or whatever) and there is no sign of RTTY. The QSO to Add QSOs box and the subsequent saving is now smooth and faster as well.

I doubt the efficacy of the two settings even when they are set to my choice of both being on. That they are both off after JTDX closes actually doesn't really affect anything. Even with both unchecked, Swisslog still follows the mode of the transceiver. So quite honestly, even if the issue of the settings not reverting to my choice is never fixed, it will not matter. The main thing is that the whole process of saving QSOs from JTDX is now appears to be perfect.
12-09-2020, 04:35 PM,
Hello Erik,

Glad that I finally solved this!

The "Set mode from QRG" should turn unchecked after linking to JTDX as well as "Do not set mode from TX" must be checked. But when JTDX closes or user press the UDP button to disable the link, both settings will be restored to the user initial settings (remember, the settings when the QSO Entry window shows up!). I have tested dozens of times here and works perfectly. Also tested in other users. But it's very important to know that in order Swisslog reads properly the "user settings", you have to set these settings as your preference then close and open the QSO Entry window. This way Swisslog will read the right settings before the UDP link becomes on automatically. Once you know how this works, it should work for you as well. But it's very important to close and open the QSO Entry once you want to keep your personal settings.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
12-09-2020, 05:35 PM,
(12-09-2020, 04:35 PM)EA3GCV Wrote: Hello Erik,

Glad that I finally solved this!

The "Set mode from QRG" should turn unchecked after linking to JTDX as well as "Do not set mode from TX" must be checked. But when JTDX closes or user press the UDP button to disable the link, both settings will be restored to the user initial settings (remember, the settings when the QSO Entry window shows up!). I have tested dozens of times here and works perfectly. Also tested in other users. But it's very important to know that in order Swisslog reads properly the "user settings", you have to set these settings as your preference then close and open the QSO Entry window. This way Swisslog will read the right settings before the UDP link becomes on automatically. Once you know how this works, it should work for you as well. But it's very important to close and open the QSO Entry once you want to keep your personal settings.

Best 73

This is a vital piece of information that I have not seen prior to your statement. Ok, so it is working as described. But these settings are inconsistent with other check boxes in the Options window. For example, changing real-time entry from on to off does make that change immediately without the need to close and open the QSO Entry window. Therefore there must be a mechanism incorporated in the programming to take a setting change and apply it without further user intervention. That mechanism ought to work for all settings and not omit those that are essential to specific aspects of Swisslog functions. I daresay this is a legacy of ancient Walter programming but should be addressed in the future to help users with configuring their choices.
12-09-2020, 06:18 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-09-2020, 06:29 PM by EA3GCV.)
Erik,

I focused my explanation on these pair of settings but it applies the same to realtime setting (when QSO Entry shows up it reads this setting as well). Realtime setting must be set off automatically while saving QSOs from JTDX because date/time are assigned by JTDX. Once the QSO is saved it's restored to user setting even if the UDP link is on. This is the only difference of behaviour against the other pair of settings. Before this beta I restored all 3 settings after saving QSO or QSO is cleared from JTDX. I could, of course, do the same and maintain realtime off during the UDP link (as I'm now doing with the other pair of settings) but I think this really doesn't matter. That's why realtime acts immediately if user changes it. Other pair of settings are most important related to mode handling and I have to keep them during all link to avoid this issue. Mode most follow the linked program and Swisslog handles all this automatically despite user settings. Once UDP link is disabled or JTDX closed, realtime setting is restored to the same state as when QSO Entry showed up (the same as other pair of settings). It's the only way I have to set these settings again in the same state they were before linking to JTDX.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
12-09-2020, 10:12 PM, (This post was last modified: 13-09-2020, 09:57 AM by EI4KF.)
(12-09-2020, 06:18 PM)EA3GCV Wrote: Erik,

I focused my explanation on these pair of settings but it applies the same to realtime setting (when QSO Entry shows up it reads this setting as well). Realtime setting must be set off automatically while saving QSOs from JTDX because date/time are assigned by JTDX. Once the QSO is saved it's restored to user setting even if the UDP link is on. This is the only difference of behaviour against the other pair of settings. Before this beta I restored all 3 settings after saving QSO or QSO is cleared from JTDX. I could, of course, do the same and maintain realtime off during the UDP link (as I'm now doing with the other pair of settings) but I think this really doesn't matter. That's why realtime acts immediately if user changes it. Other pair of settings are most important related to mode handling and I have to keep them during all link to avoid this issue. Mode most follow the linked program and Swisslog handles all this automatically despite user settings. Once UDP link is disabled or JTDX closed, realtime setting is restored to the same state as when QSO Entry showed up (the same as other pair of settings). It's the only way I have to set these settings again in the same state they were before linking to JTDX.

Best 73
I was not referring to the operation of Real Time setting in relation to JTDX. Only that a user will find that this acts immediately as he sets it thus causing the belief that the other settings will do so too when in fact they do not. It is a matter of consistency to avoid confusion. I cannot think of any other software where a panel or window of configuration settings has a mixed method of implementation. Anyway, I know this now and the latest beta solves the issue. Thank you. I suspect Roland's problem is more related to the choice of internet database being searched. HamQTH for example is definitely flakey.
12-09-2020, 11:41 PM,
Hi Jordi,

think the issue is related to searching for callsign in internet database of HAMQTH.
Have activated an account at HamCall 3 days ago and switched to those - and no hangs till now.

Think if I would have an issue with internet connection, firewall or should run with admin-rights also with HamCall search I should have issues? But it is running.

73 de Roland. DK4RH

Additional finding: Password of HamCall should not have special character, as least no '('. Had created one in the first step, always errors by searching for a callsign. After changing the password which contains only numbers and letter it was OK.
vy 73 - DK4RH, Roland