Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not able to copy-paste when run in VMware
24-08-2021, 07:13 PM,
Not able to copy-paste when run in VMware
Hi,

I'm using a Win 10 machine virtulized on VMware to run all my ham radio software, using Swisslog 5.102b as my main loggin software. But for some reason I cannot use the windows copy-paste functionality for any fields in Swisslog. Does anyone of you have any ideas about what might be wrong? I can neither copy nor paste any text from within Swisslog. There are no problems copy-pasting in any other programs on that same virtulized Windows machine. 

I have even tried installing Swisslog locally on the physical computer (also Windows 10 Pro) and there was no problems copy-pasting then. But I'd like to virtualze the installation of my ham applications to ease the migration when I change computers.

73 de OH6OG Pontus
25-08-2021, 01:47 AM,
RE: Not able to copy-paste when run in VMware
Hello Pontus,

Unfortunately virtual machines are not perfect and can cause side effects. My experience with VMWare is really positive. In fact I use VMWare under Windows XP with Swisslog since long time ago with no issues. Maybe you will have to review your VMware settings to see if something is wrong. But it's something not related to Swisslog but VMWAre.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
Current developer of Swisslog
25-08-2021, 02:40 PM,
Yes, I'm also sure it must be something with the virtual envirement and not Swisslog itself. I'we tried to look for solutions on the internet. There are lots of people who have troubles copy-pasting between the host and the virtual machine, but I can't find much any tips on the specific problem not to be able to copy-paste within the virtual machine itself. Especially not since all but this one application work ok. But I'll have to keep looking.

73 de OH6OG Pontus
25-08-2021, 04:09 PM,
Hello Pontus,

I have done some testings and I have found a way which works. Pressing Ctrl+C copies the contents perfectly from the virtual machine, but Ctrl+V doesn't work. You need to go to EDIT > Paste or press Ctrl+Shift+V which does the work!

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
26-08-2021, 10:54 AM,
Interesting, and you are right. I am able to paste wiht Ctrl+Shift+V. At least into some places in Swisslog. But not all. For an example the QTH locator field in the Entry of QSOs window does not function. The Notes field in that same window works both ways. I can copy from and to it with Ctr+Shift+C and paste into it with Ctrl+Shift+V. But the other fields like Callsign and QTH locator do not function.
26-08-2021, 01:11 PM,
I can copy/paste Callsign and QTH locator with no issues in the Notes field. Could you please explain in detail which fields you want to copy and the destination field? However, why you need to copy/paste all these fields? I have never used copy/paste within Swisslog because it's not needed for regular logging operations. That's why I'm interested to know why this is so important to you.

Jordi, EA3GCV
26-08-2021, 03:02 PM,
Most often it is the location field that I want to paste text into. Most of my qsos are cw and often QRP. Normally I don't ask about grid locations, we only exchange the normal name of QTH and so. I know Swisslog can calculate a locator and use that for distance calculations but I quite often go do a lookup at qrz.com for the more precise location. I then update the log record with that. Perhaps copy something into the log notes from the qrz biography for special call stations too.

Sota and Flora Fauna activations are another category of qsos that I like to update with accurate grids. I find as precise distance calculations as possible kind of interesting for the QRP contacts.
26-08-2021, 04:45 PM, (This post was last modified: 26-08-2021, 04:49 PM by EA3GCV.)
Just remind you that if you are QRZ subscriber (I highly recommend you!) Swisslog is able to fill out nearly all fields from QRZ with no need to visit the QSO partner profile. Swisslog is able to retrieve and fill out IOTA and even the image profile in the image viewer window. Swisslog implements an exclusive function which is able to read the first callsign found in the QSL INFO field from QRZ and set automatically the QSL Manager field. You will save a lot of work with only 25€ per year. I'm telling this as Ham, I don't get any comission from QRZ! But it's the best Callbook database resource currently. You can also use HAMQTH which is free and you will also be able to see the image profile and get QTH Locator filled out automatically. 

Please read this: https://www.swisslogforwindows.com/engli...upport.htm

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV