Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rotor control
17-09-2021, 12:27 PM,
Rotor control
Hello. I am qsl manager with my club, and because of that I have installed Swisslog and made user profiles ("My QTH") for all users. It works without a hitch on our main station. 

We have also installed N1MM+ for contests, and because most of our club members are relatively new hams,  and because it is a relatively uncomplicated user interface, most of our members prefer using N1MM+ also for general logging.

I have set up the N1MM+ rotor control software, and it works like it's supposed to do.

BUT, and here comes my question: After setting up the rotator control in Swisslog, and using it without any problems, it seems like this is blocking the N1MM+ Rotor control. It seems like something is hanging after I close Swisslog (even after restarting the computer), because  I am unable to operate the rotor from N1MM+ Rotor control, even if the settings have not changed, and everything looks normal.

Any ideas what can cause this and how it can be avoided? Personally I would very much like to use the integrated rotor control functions in Swisslog, but because of the other users preferring N1MM+, I cannot do that.

Best regards Tom
Happy Swisslog user since 1989.

JW6VDA permanently may 1983 - august 1989 and august 2001 - august 2014.
LA6VDA 1989-2001.

Now OH6VDA since september 2014.
17-09-2021, 12:37 PM,
RE: Rotor control
Hi Tom,

You don't explain which rotor interface are using. If Swisslog is closed then you should not have any problem. Keep in mind that you can't share a COM port in 2 applications at once. So I guess your rotor COM port remains open somehow. Review carefully the COM port setup.

Jordi, EA3GCV
Current developer of Swisslog
18-09-2021, 09:20 AM,
I am aware of the fact that two applications cannot share one comport, so  the questions remains. The rotor is Prosistel D.

It is configured to work with N1MM+ Rotor.net, and it works.

I am operating this station remotely, so I cannot physically unplug/plug in any of the physical devices.
Setting up rotor control in Swisslog, using the same rotor, it also works from Swisslog - of course after closing the N1MM+ rotor programme.

Here is the problem: If I close Swisslog and open N1MM+ again, the rotor does not work with N1MM Rotor control.
Several restarts does not help. The rotor cannot be controlled By N1MM any more.

Solution - not very satisfactorily: Remove the rotator from Swisslog. Make several restarts of the computer. Configure N1MM+ rotor again. Since this programme also works as standalone, it is a feasible, albeit not very elegant way to operate the rotor.

Apparently something blocks the rotor to be controlled by N1MM+ if it has been configured and used by Swisslog. (It does not happened if the rotor  is simply configured in Swisslog - it happened after Swisslog has been actively used to turn the antenna.

So my question is: Is there any way to tell the comport that it is no longer connected via Swisslog, e.g. in device manager?

73 de Tom

LA6VDA 1989-2001.

18-09-2021, 02:24 PM,
The rotor interface in Swisslog is PROSISTELD

LA6VDA 1989-2001.

21-09-2021, 02:23 AM,
Hi Tom,

I'm in Canada now for vacation. Theoretically Swisslog closes the COM port connection when is closed. Maybe there is an issue with Prosistel but I won't be able to check it until my arrival on 28th. Could you please try latest beta and let me know if it's working?

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV
21-09-2021, 08:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 21-09-2021, 08:08 AM by JW6VDA.)
Good morning, Jordi.

I will wait to do any more testing until I am physically present in the shack in the middle of next month. I just tested (without the beta) an it looks like this:
1. With the rotor configured in N1MM+Rotor.net and the N1MM+ logger, the rotor works flawlwessly.
2. Configuring the rotor interface in Swisslog (ProsistelD) the rotor works - BUT only in the session when it is configured. Exiting Swisslog and then reloading it, I have no more rotor control. Restarting the computer - several times - does not help.
3. After using the rotor control in Swisslog, the N1MM+Rotor.net programme will not connect to the rotor, and I have no rotor control. Computer restart does not help. Removing the configuration in Swisslog does not help.
4. The only thing that restores rotor control, is physically recycling the power of the rotor control box in the shack (power off and then power on)-

Because I depend on someone else physically entering the shack to do that, I will wait until I myself am physically present in a month's time.

In the mean time, enjoy your vacation and stay safe!

73 de Tom

LA6VDA 1989-2001.

18-10-2021, 03:45 PM,
I have now tested with the Beta, and there is no change. The only solution is to turn the control box of the rotator off and then on again.

73 de Tom

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

LA6VDA 1989-2001.

19-10-2021, 12:29 AM, (This post was last modified: 19-10-2021, 04:09 PM by EA3GCV.)
Hi Tom,

I have revised the code related to Prosistel and I didn't find anything strange. It handles COM port the same way as it's handled with other interfaces. Moreover, I have connected remotely with another user having a Prosistel D like you with N1MM and all is working flawlessly. I have started Swisslog several times and rotor is working. The same running N1MM, closing it and starting Swisslog. No issues at all and I have performed this operation many times. Review all and use 9600 bauds as serial port rate. I guess something is wrong in your rotor controller. But there is no issues caused by Swisslog at all.

Best 73
Jordi, EA3GCV